Today I was working on a list of genealogy conferences for 2010. I am trying to figure out which ones I want to attend (all of them) and which ones I can afford and have time to attend (a few). It really annoys me when I read about a genealogy blogger going to attend a conference that I didn't even know about until the week of the event. "If I had only known about it, I would have gone." So I am making this list to help me and others stay on top of things and plan ahead to get the most out of the year.
Here is the list of "major" conferences and institutes that I have found for 2010:
- Salt Lake Institute of Genealogy, January 11-15, Salt Lake City, Utah
- Family History Expo - Mesa, Arizona, January 22 & 23
- Roots Magic Cruise, February 14-21, Carribean (Added 8 Jul 2009)
- Family History Expo - St. George, Utah, February 26 & 27
- Who Do You Think You Are? Live, February 26-28, London, England (Added 8 Jul 2009)
- Indiana Genealogical Society Conference, April 10, Fort Wayne, Indiana
- Ohio Genealogical Society Conference, April 22-24, Toledo, Ohio
- National Genealogical Society Conference, April 28-May 1, Salt Lake City, Utah
- Ontario Genealogical Society Conference, May 14-16, Toronto, Ontario (Added 8 Jul 2009)
- Southern California Genealogical Society Jamboree, June 11-13, Burbank, California
- Samford Institute of Genealogy and Historical Research, June 13-18, Birmingham, Alabama
- International Association of Jewish Genealogical Societies Conference, July 11-16, Los Angeles, California (Added 08 Jul 2009)
- Federation of Genealogical Societies Conference, August 18-21, Knoxville, Tennessee
- National Institute of Genealogical Research, Washington, DC, 2010 dates unknown
- BYU Conference on Family History and Genealogy, date unknown (Added 8 Jul 2009)
- BYU Computerized Family History and Genealogy Conference, date unknown (Added 8 Jul 2009)
- Wholly Genes Cruise? (Added 08 Jul 2009)
I know that there will be more Family History Expos announced for 2010.
My list is region specific since I live in Fort Wayne, Indiana. Right now I know for sure that I will attend the Indiana Genealogical Society Conference because it's in Fort Wayne. I will most likely attend Samford in June. I'll probably go to the Ohio conference on Saturday at least since Toledo is only 2 hours away. I want to attend FGS because it is in August and I won't have to take off work, but I might be out of budget by then.
I'll also attend some smaller workshops and seminars at ACPL that pop up over the year and others that are nearby that interest me.
What other genealogical conferences and events should I consider attending? Which ones should I put on my list so that I least I will know about them in 2011? Leave a comment or send me an email to genwishlist [at] gmail [dot] com.